Origin of the ICZNwiki
ICZNWiki went live on 1 November 2007. The starting text is that of the fourth edition of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (1999), as found on the ICZN Website, but with some differences in formatting, as explained under ICZNconventions.
ICZNwiki did not initially include the introductory text of the fourth edition (pp. i-xxix), since that text will be replaced rather revised in a fifth edition. It is available on the ICZN website. It also does not include the French text or the diagram on page 123 of the printed text. Any of these might be added as deemed desirable by Wiki participants.
The following errors encountered in the text on the ICZN website were corrected to make the online text of the wiki correspond to the print version.
- Article 37: In the example, ". ." should be "."
- Chapter 10: In the title, "nominotypical" should be "nominal".
Article 50.1: In the example, "laniariu" should be "laniarius".
Recommendation 51D: The "v" at the end of recommendation's title is extraneous.
Article 53.1: In the example, ">" is extraneous.
Article 61.4: In the example, the "v" in "vP. ingrami" is extraneous.
- Article 79.1.1.: This article was erroneously numbered "179.1.1."
- Article 80.7.2: The hyphen in "Com-mission" is extraneous.
- Glossary: In entry for "specimen", read "n." for "n".
- Constitution: Some articles are bolded in their entirety, instead of just the Article titles.
- Constitution: In Article 3.1.3, "tlie" should be the".
- Constitution: Article 3:2.1 should be 3.2.1.
- Constitution: In Article 9, the space between Secretariat and The Council was omitted.
- Constitution: In Article 11.1, session should not be capitalized.
- Constitution: In Article 16, the periods after the title and after "Procedure" (16.1) were omitted.
These errors have been reported to the Secretariat of the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, and so may no longer be reflected on the website. Some errors in the printed text of the fourth edition were corrected in the online version. Those noted thus far are:
- Article 220.127.116.11. In the example, PINIDAE was changed to PINNIDAE.
- Article 50.1. "deemd" was changed to "deemed".
Heather Yager, the biodiversity database programmer at the Academy of Natural Sciences, installed the Wiki software, instructed me in its use, and provides support as needed.